Spread Tarantula Taxidermy | Preserved Dried Brown Spider Specimen
• Real Dried Tarantula Specimen. Tarantulas are a group of very large and often hairy arachnids belonging to the Theraphosidae family of spiders, with approximately 900 species identified so far
• They inhabit the tropical rain forests of southeast Asia, where they build and live in burrows up to several feet deep, emerging to capture food. These spiders prey on numerous small creatures, such as cockroaches, crickets, and mice
• These are real dried unmounted tarantula specimens so variations in size, positioning and color may occur, as well as a lingering odor
• Can range in size from approximately 2.5-4″ long measured from the longest points. All preserved life is ethically and legally sourced
• You will receive one Real Dried Tarantula similar to the reference specimen
Like all arthropods, the tarantula is an invertebrate that relies on an exoskeleton for muscular support. Haplopelma minax are relatively large specimens, with leg spans ranging from 4.5 to 6″. These tarantulas thrive in tropical environments, requiring humidity levels of up to 70% or more. .
Tarantula fangs are hollow extensions of the chelicerae that inject venom into prey or animals that the tarantula bites in defense, and they are also used to masticate. These fangs are articulated so that they can extend downward and outward in preparation to bite or can fold back toward the chelicerae as a pocket knife blade folds back into its handle. The chelicerae of a tarantula completely contain the venom glands and the muscles that surround them, and can cause the venom to be forcefully injected into prey. Like all old-world tarantulas, the spiders in Haploplema lack the urticating hairs found in their new world counterparts, and use biting as a primary means of defense. Those common in the pet trade are known as temperamental, difficult to care for, and likely to bite. While the venom of many of these species has not been studied, old world tarantulas are known for strong venom.
You will receive a real dried Tarantula similar to the reference specimen. Please keep in mind that because they are dried, they are fragile and should be handled with care. These specimens also have a lingering odor that is to be expected from real specimens of this nature.